Sunday, 13 March 2011

Broken Hearts Blogfest

Greetings everyone!

I know you will all be with me in continuing to send all hope to Japan and those caught up in the terrible events of the weekend.



Dawn Embers at It's in the Book is hosting this blogfest from today until the 15th March. She says, "Show us the wretched emotions, the anger, depression, fear, whatever happens after the happy honeymooon lovey-dove V-day stuff is over and all that is left is a broken heart."

Here's mine:

Athena held her breath; the paper thin, romantic shape before her, so fragile, so brittle, slipped next to the forty-seven identical royal icing forms layered millimetre to millimetre, like a military manouvre. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply. Only three more to place. This masterpiece was her most ambitious yet. Deep red, slashed with gold leaf – is it a monogram? Or something, as Athena hoped, more subtle, classy - after all, less is more.

Fifty sugared perfections were waiting with expectation on glossy protective paper, befitting their status as the stars of the exhibit. Athena spoke gently as number forty-eight tilted exactly where she had dreamed. Her silver tongs reached for forty-nine.

Her mind drifted to the celebrity couple who would be photographed smiling, decorative blade in place, making their wishes in return for a million pounds. A spokeswoman had chosen the design. Would they even know, or care, that inside was a real cake? South American cocoa, brandy soaked fruit, organic, of course. Athena tried to envisage the skeletal diva licking flakes of golden chocolate from those enhanced lips.

Snap!

Athena swallowed. She felt a prickling in her armpits and a gauze over her vision. No! She swayed. No! The tongs held the evidence, two parts held only by the squeezing of her hand on the metal. No time – number forty-nine, both halves dropped into postion. Athena slotted the jagged edges together. Almost invisible...what else? She reached for number fifty, perfect. Or could she just make out the hairline fissure beneath? A wave of couverture sprinkles made the design more haphazard than she had wanted, but Athena was saved.

The media exploded with the demise of the glittering marriage six months later. Her heart was broken, she said.


I almost wrote of my teenage heartbreak when Trevor Burden didn't want to dance with me, but you guys know that any food related writing wins the day! Do pop over and check out the other entries.

Onward to the week ahead.....

42 comments:

  1. very nice Margo! Oh how we don't think of others and what they have done for us on our love journey!

    My post will be up tomorrow night - i hope!
    Well done again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting take on the theme, and some nice writing too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A clever take on the theme, and of course food always rules the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As ever, your skill is always in the detail, and what better way to show this? I could feel the fragility of it all, and what a wonderful metaphor for love.

    (And it's made me hungry for cake!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic take on the prompt. I love the way you wove the two stories together in such a short space. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever take on the theme! The cake sounds gorgeous, and I love the last line about the celebrity marriage breaking up. Perhaps it was a sign...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant. My mom is a cake decorator, and she often wondered if anyone actually ate the cake after all her hard work.

    Loved the prophetic broken heart :) Celebrity marriages, they never last . .

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the details of this. Very different type of treatment for this topic. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,

    I so loved the build up in this and half-expected Athena to end up "face in the iced masterpiece", but the end was classic! ;)

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your writing style! Really enjoyed this piece, well done! :) Athena is a beautiful name by the way.

    ~TRA

    http://xtheredangelx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful piece. The description of the cake made my mouth water. Then the tension! Was it an omen?

    Thanks for dropping in on Joanna Wayne's interview on my blog. Please also post on her FB wall for a chance to win one of her hot cowboy Intrigue!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great entry in the 'fest. I love it.

    Denise<3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it WAS an omen! My mom decorated cakes when I was little and I remember the care and precision...and the beauty.

    And everyone I know saves the top layer and eats it on their first anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job. I love reading about emotions and turmoil. I am really hungry for some confectionery goodness right now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful!! I love the symbolism and the great ending sentence - wraps this all up in a sugary sweet bitter end!! Thank you for sharing!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. great piece. It fits in wonderfully with the blogfest too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved it, and I love the last paragraph :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, the heartbreak! Well done. And your heartbreak from the dance? Yep, we all have stories like that. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL...nice writing, and different. Talk about how 'hearts' break..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nicely done--I held my breath through the whole thing and actually winced when the 49th piece broke. Excellent build-up.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha lovely piece! I really enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cake and tension--a perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Clever! And nicely written, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great pacing--I loved the build up!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was on edge the whole time, hoping she pulls it off in the end. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. A culinary and a writerly masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Talk about evil portents!!! Great interpretation of the theme (she says running off to find something sweet to eat)...

    ; )

    T.x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love that you used a namesake of Athena, goddess of widsom purity and reason, as the main character. I love that. It's totally like she is the wise one who knew the couple would not last etc etc :)

    Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nicely done. I like food entries as well. ;-)

    There is something very dream like about how this one was written and I liked that element. I wanted to know more like what type of sugary confection was being used. Then again I've been a little obsessed lately over shows on candy, cupcakes and cake. This was an interesting approach to the topic of the blogfest. Literal and yet abstract.

    Good job and thanks for entering my blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love that the wedding was all about the show, the photographs, and they wouldn't even care that there was real cake inside. So well done.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you, thank you for all your wonderful comments, I REALLY appreciate the time you take to leave a message.

    When I signed up for this blogfest I somehow had the image of the Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz in my mind...'if he only had a heart'... so I felt I had to make one to break one. I have loved reading all the entries - there are some humdinger heartbreaks out there!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This will be short because I'm running to the grocery store for cake... Loved this excerpt. What a fun blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the fact that people had such widely different takes on this blogfest. And yours is about food! You had me from the first paragraph... Thanks for checkign out my entry, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. demise of the glittering marriage...
    LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ummm..cake :)

    Very clever entry. I'm not doing the blogfest, but I enjoyed reading this!

    Hugs,

    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  36. I loved your take on the broken heart and how you tied it in at the end. :)

    I'm off to find some cake now.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Very clever take on the challenge - and marvellous to read. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  38. want.... cake...

    Great entry.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Loved it. :-) Now we have to wonder if there was some sort of witchcraft woven into the cake decorations, so that the relationship was fated from the very beginning...

    Oh and seriously, cocoa plus alcohol-soaked organic fruit...with or without the fancy decorations, I'm sold!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments x