Wednesday, 5 January 2011

New Creation Blogfest and Wednesday Haiku








Greetings everyone! Today I have a couple of things to share, the first is Summer Ross's (of My Inner Fairy) New Creation Blogfest. We write the last sentence of a favourite piece of work and the first sentence of a new piece or idea. Do check out the other entries - you can clicky the link on the top right.

She lifted it up and saw, with delight, a perfect solid silver sphere, a flying saucer.

Alf waited patiently for the iron to reach full temperature, he daren’t start before the little orange light went off

....and Happy Birthday Summer!


Next is Sensational Haiku Wednesday and this week's theme is Resolutions. Do check out the others over at Jenn's blog.

Join the fun!







To make or to break
Guilt over the lemon cake
Hide the evidence



Something to give up
Or a new adventure found
The decade begins









Writing with pure joy
Singing with all of my heart
Embracing new thrills



Have a great day.

37 comments:

  1. Ooo. . .that is a thrilling last line. I could almost feel I was there watching her, and I'm intrigued to find out what she lifted up!

    Your last line made me wonder who Alf is and what he is ironing? A great hook.

    Loved your Haikus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very visual--makes me want to know more!

    I also love the haiku and the pictures. LOVE the lemon cake!

    Nice to meet you, Margo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I love them both! Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Second sentence definitely works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely haikus and images to go along with. It's also an interesting entry New Creation Blogfest. Wishing you all the best for 2011 :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wonderful lines Margo! I really like you last line. Your first shows so much potential. best of luck writing. thank you fairy much for the birthday wishes and participating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year!

    You know... life is short. Eat the cake.

    Nicely done haiku! Well matched images too. If you don't sing with all your heart, you're missing the point. Too bad more people don't get that :)

    By the way, I updated today's post to reflect the new word for next week. I've gotta stop doing these things in the middle of the night...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love both your lines...the first one could be lines from a poem!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,

    1) What did she lift up? ;)

    2) Ironing what? Both hook sentences!

    Nice haikus and images.

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  10. Flying saucer's and Alf....

    They fit together perfectly...

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice. I love last sentences that leave you with a sense of mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both sentences are great and ping different emotions. The second though, sparks my playful sense, hope there is more :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your first line -- about the little orange light going off. It is those types of detail that draw me in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved both lines and adored the haiku, too, lemon cake is a favorite of mine so I laughed at the first one. So glad to have found your blog, thanks for stopping by mine!

    ~bru

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now I want lemon cake.
    It may date me, but I can't help but think of Alf as Alien Life Form from the 80's sitcom. lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved the haiku. Intriguing New Creation lines :O)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both great lines. I'm enjoying reading all the variety.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi!! My first time on your lovely and very pretty blog!!! I love your avatar!

    Your last line from 2010: What a magical ending!!!

    Your first line from 2011: Aww poor Alf!! I fear foreboding on the horizon for him! Oh dear! Great stuff

    Love your haikus - especially the Lemon Cake one!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. #1- Tremendous. A flying saucer is very intriging and makes me want to find out what happened before.

    #2- Very simple, but already I feel Alf is cautious, maybe has a bit of OCD going on. I think this because I do the same thing myself. If you iron before the light is solid, you end up with water on your clothes, especially if you push the steam button before its ready.

    Peace,
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  20. That lemon cake looks so delicious! I unofficially lessened my sugar intake on the 1st!

    ReplyDelete
  21. First... I had to stop by, because your name is MARGO (nice to meet ya!).

    Second... while I really enjoyed your haiku, I have to tell you I just finished reading FALSE MEMORY by Dean Koontz. In this book, haiku is used for a terrible mind controlling purpose. So, I'm not sure I'm a fan of that type of poetry anymore. ACK! And, I'm sure you had no intention of controlling anyone's mind with your haiku... but I feel a strange urge to eat a piece of lemon cake, or lemon bars, or lemon-something now... just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would definitely turn the page for a flying saucer; especially one that appears so small.

    I really like the flow of the beginning sentence. Says a lot about his character.

    Lovely Haiku's. Yes, hiding the evidence of the cake should take away the guilt (lol).

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  23. Not only do I like your sentences but I love those Haikus. You're talented!
    CD

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you all so much for stopping by and reading, this has been a fabulous blogfest along with the haiku Wednesday, I've spent hours reading through the list. Welcome to my new followers too, great to have you here.
    Those who wish to meet Alf once more can pop to the short story 'The Garden Party' (on the right hand panel)where you'll find him :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ironing? Ick!!

    Love your poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great Blogfest post. I love the opening line: poor Alf he sounds like he is perched on the edge of panic. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice!!

    Last line: sounds like a great finale, a kind of wish fulfilled

    First sentence: poor Alf! Sounds like he had some bad experiences with household appliances in the past, lol. Why is he so scared of starting early? Does it have to do with the iron itself or with whatever he's using it for?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Margo. Thanks so much for stopping by :) I really like your first sentence. It just flows like a poem. So wonderful. And the second is intriguing. I want to know more! Have a great day, dear.

    ~ Bess

    ReplyDelete
  29. Loved them all but Hide the evidence Oh hilarious! Happy 2011

    ReplyDelete
  30. Here for the Blogfest! Enjoyed your sentences!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey Margo! I want to know more about Alf now.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Okay, I am an enthusiastic new follower of your blog. Those sentences were amazing. The first one is intriguing and poetic. The second one introduces a neurotic character who I think I would like.

    Looking forward to more excerpts and haikus for you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That beginning sentence intrigues me particularly - is there some reason why he can't start early? Is it a terribly important bit of ironing, or is he unfamiliar with using an iron and so clinging to his mother's instructions rigidly? :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. This was such an interesting post with the words and pictures. Thank you Margot!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, thank you again everyone for stopping by and for all your kind comments!
    @kelworthfiles, you're really close to the mark, Alf has had a very domineering mother and late wife and he wants to look his best this particular day.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Loving the haikus, especially the one about cake! :)

    P.S.: You have an award waiting for you at my site!

    http://jc-martin.com/fighterwriter/awards/

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments x