
Greetings Everyone!
Every week a group of us, brought together by the awesome talents of Denise at L'Aussie Writing and Francine at Romancing The Blog provides a story, poem or an excerpt up to 400 words on a chosen theme. Do click on the badge to read more romantic pieces and come and join us if you fancy writing in the Romance genre.
This week, Denise is off on fabulous travels, hence the theme Up, Up And Away
Here's mine in 388 words...
Kate and Andrew argued their way along a street banked with identical Georgian terraces.
“Here!” Andrew took her hand, more habit than affection. “Couples Mediation Centre. We're late!”
On the advice of a close friend, Tim, who loved them both, they had accepted their relationship was in trouble. She loved him, he loved her, but somehow in the last year, time together was short and work days were long. They griped, sulked and moaned through their waking hours, then made excuses to turn away from each other through the sleeping ones. She cried with Tim. He cried with Tim. They agreed to counselling.
“Welcome! Phones off please, pick your space.” The etherial woman floated before them, indicating the sunlit floor. Bodies lay in relaxed anticipation, heads here, feet there.
“A group?” Kate hissed. “Not one-on-one mediation?”
Andrew shrugged, resigned. They found a dappled corner and lay down.
Kate turned her head. Andrew's hair flopped away from his frown onto the dusty, wooden floor. She wanted to remember why she loved him. She was tense as she listened to the woman's voice coaxing, guiding the room full of minds. She tried to concentrate. The voice was saying something about a lake; of looking up towards the top of a tall tree. Whatever.
Kate let out a long breath as she opened her wings and let the thermals lift her. Heavenly suspension. London spread away beneath. Avenues curled around parks, traffic wove in labyrinthine splendour. Circles of life and delight. She flew over her home. Their home. An apartment block of matching boxes. Warm spaces of life, ideas and... love.
Her thoughts merged with her shadow on the buldings below. Two shadows. She looked along her wing and met another feathered tip. The touch at once familiar and safe, desire and trust filled her heart. A life complete. Two lives.
...and slowly bring yourselves back into the room.
Kate opened her eyes and felt Andrew's hand in hers. They stood, awkward smiles; back to the present.
Outside, Kate's bag snagged on the door handle and she caught her peaceful reflection in the tarnished brass plaque.
Couples Meditation Centre.
Andrew had seen it too. They looked at one another, ready to fume.
“But I...we...” She swallowed.
He embraced her, his eyes moist. “We flew.”
Enjoy the weekend, lovlies x
Awwww, what a perfect ending :)
ReplyDeleteWow! that was a lovely story:)
ReplyDeletei liked the ending..also your take on the prompt is very fascinating:)
i love it!
Awh that was beautiful. I was lost in the meditation myself. Very original take on the theme. I'll have to see if I can write mine now. I have been ruminating since Tues.:O)
ReplyDeleteStunning, and very romantic. As I read each word I was willing an end to their problems, and it happened. Beautiful piece of writing.
ReplyDeleteEllie Garratt
Margo, this is wonderful!
ReplyDelete"Her thoughts merged with her shadow on the buldings below. Two shadows. She looked along her wing and met another feathered tip. The touch at once familiar and safe, desire and trust filled her heart. A life complete. Two lives."...I love this stanza.
I always like happy endings (that's the romantic in me).
A really beautiful piece. A bit off putting seeing my own name there (laughing).
ReplyDeleteI was drawn into her peace, flying alongside. Lovely!
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteBrilliant piece on mediation therapy. I so loved the doves' wing effect! Hee hee, these challenges are testing creative abilities to the full, and great results! ;)
best
F
Awwwww lovely!!! And funny too!!! Great ending - I'm all for mediation but meditation is just as healing!! Yay! take care
ReplyDeletex
Margo..its a wonderful entry. I was completely sucked in by the scene. I felt that they had come to a place which practiced Eastern philosophy of meditation.And, for a change I was right.
ReplyDeleteSuperb...I thought this was a well imagined piece. Both became birds to soar over London and find what mattered the most. Excellent.
ReplyDeleteNancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium
Love the imagery of the flight and what a wonderful ending. Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteJules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow
So creative, so beautifully written, so perfect...I loved how meditation worked, how they soared. Great job!
ReplyDeleteThat was fun. And I didn't mind the happy ending :) Like cliche's, sometimes they can be necessary. Definitely called for here.
ReplyDelete..........dhole
What a nice ending. I was with them the whole time and would have been disappointed if they had not reached this perfect end.
ReplyDeleteI love the ending to this story. :)
ReplyDeleteGriped, sulked, and moaned - love that.
ReplyDeleteGreat ending!
Great story! I love romance. :)
ReplyDeleteReally cool story. So many layers to it, makes poking at your words delightful.
ReplyDelete