Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Clichés and Stereotypes...and a peek at some blogging pals!

Greetings Everyone!

Once upon a time on a dark and stormy night in a galaxy far, far away.....


As writers, we are bombarded with the horrors of cliché and threatened with hell and damnation if we dare to stereotype. Yet many stories containing well known archetypes, familiar characters, situations and outcomes are published and devoured every day.

How many crime thrillers contain the near burned-out detective with a dodgy marriage, reliance on a liquid lunch, failure to abide by the rules, yet act on a hunch to catch the criminals and win the day?

I have just read (and thoroughly enjoyed) a Romance containing every stereotype imaginable - the wealthy but emotionally suppressed family versus the poor but wildly passionate one. We have the kindly housekeeper, the understanding cleric and the toddler who warms the cockles of the hardest heart to bring the warring factions together for a double tissue ending. The publisher obviously didn't have a problem with the concept, it's selling well and, although I had the tale pegged from chapter one, I loved it!

If so many readers want these situations and stories, then why are we regarded as wimping out when we deliver them? There are thousands of variations of 'Cinderella' but they sell like the clichéd hot cakes!

I recently listened to an interview with the world Scrabble Champion, Mark Nyman, on the subject of cliché - he maintains that it's useful in order to convey a certain message quickly. He has a point. Yes, many overused phrases are yawn-worthy but others are a convenient shortcut to conveying what the reader needs to grasp straight away.

Our hearts beat furiously and hammer in our chests; our stomachs flutter; our nipples pebble (oh yes they do!) Clouds scud and boil, we roar with laughter and smile coquettishly....phrases like these appear over and over again.

What to do?

As an aspiring Romance author, I want my characters to experience all of the above (yes, even the nipple thing) and I go to great descriptive lengths to convey emotions without my reader groaning, 'yeah, yeah....'

How do you feel about cliché? Do you have moments where stereotypes are marshalled to complete your story? Or should we banish them to that far away galaxy?

I'd love to know your thoughts on this.

...And now for something completely different..

Four blogging bods met up for a scrumptious lunch in Exeter. Thank you chaps for a wonderful and inspiring afternoon.




From L - Tony Benson of Fireside Park, Moi, Madeleine Maddocks of Scribble And Edit and Ellie Garratt

A noob, two sci-fi/fantasy writers and a literary/real/YA fiction writer. We did not lack conversation!

Note - not a smidge of alcohol between us! (psst, it was wine o'clock when the Bensons got home!) It's great to meet up with fellow writers and those we know through the Blogosphere.

....and it didn't rain.... x

19 comments:

  1. I think stereotypes, particularly in writing, aren't always a bad thing. They're usually there because they work, and readers like or expect them. I think the key is always trying to make them your own by giving them your own personality. Just to make them ENOUGH different, if that makes sense?

    Looks like a wild group there! :-)

    EJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read your post title, I thought I was going to see my icon next to the word "cliche" and it wouldn't be a good thing!(Although I did use a wise, older mentor in my book, so guess I'm guilty.)
    Look at you guys - and Ellie! That's really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with E.J., I think it's fine to start with a stereotype but add a little twist if you can. For instance, my ditzy blonde might be the one with the answer to the problem every now and then (bad example but you get what I mean).

    Also, your meet up looked like fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are thousands of variations of 'Cinderella' but they sell like the clichéd hot cakes!

    That's an excellent line! I think if there's enough original in there, some cliche can be forgiven. Is it even possible to forgo them entirely?

    Um, that romance/erotic one - I've NEVER come across that. I guess I'm not reading the right books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with the others. I think a cliche' is fine and LONG as it's not overdone or TOO obvious.

    I THINK IT"S AWESOME that you all got to get together. I have so many wonderful blogging friends in England, that when I visit I want to meet you ALL! Maybe next summer. I HOPE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First - great pic! Ooh, I'm so envious--I'd love a sit down with y'all. What fun it would be! :)

    Ah, cliches. Tough to avoid sometimes, and especially with genres like mystery and romance. Romance, in particular, is formulaic by design--publishers prefer it that way! And let's face it, there are only so many ways to describe a passionate encounter without falling into the dreaded purple prose. In the end, I think a strong story and compelling characters will sell, regardless of some cliches that might trickle in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looooooooooove wine o'clock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A noob?!! Uh oh! (See: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=noob

    I'm a literary/real/YA fiction writer. :O0


    Cliches can be groanworthy, but sometimes they can be used to ironic advantage when done well. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow!! There's beautiful Madeleine and lovely Ellie and fantastic you! And Tony Benson! Oh wow - what a group! How lovely and completely wonderful!!! Yay!!

    Cliches?!? Bring em on - it;s in the delivery rather than the content, for me! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like throwing in a cliche or three! :) Personally, I don't have a problem with it, as long as it's not in every sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And here's that picture again. Actually, yours was first, but I was reading backwards on my reader again.

    Ref: cliches
    I try not to use them unless it's in dialog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In the begining of my writing life I did embrace a few cliches (actually many), but now I really try very hard to avoid them.

    Love the picture of four of my favourite online writing pals :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cliches are things I try very hard to avoid in my writing. Great post and love that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We really did have a wonderful time, so any bloggers/writers who live close together, make the effort and meet up!

    I try hard to avoid clichés, though I think the occasional one in dialogue is acceptable.

    Ellie Garratt

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cliches- I think it's in the execution.

    And I love the fact that you all online friends actually live nearby to meet up! Thanks for sharing the lovely photo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. If the story rocks, I'm willing to overlook a lot of things. I think Nas (comment above) makes a great point about execution.

    Thanks for sharing the photo! So nice to see faces with names.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Margo.
    Cliches are fine in moderation.

    What fun you all look like you're having.
    Blog friends soiree...what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to agree, sometimes cliche's are recommended to speed things along.

    I love getting together with my crit group. The ftf exchange of ideas is exciting.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chiming in late here, but I wrote about clichés on my blog, and worrying about falling into them. (And some kind person pointed me over here to your blog, too).

    Reassuring blog... so thanks ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments x