Friday, 10 June 2011

Romantic Friday Writers - Forgotten


Greetings Everyone!

Every week a group of us, brought together by the awesome talents of Denise at L'Aussie Writing and Francine at Romancing The Blog provides a story, poem or an excerpt up to 400 words on a chosen theme. Do click on the badge to read more romantic pieces and come and join us if you fancy writing in the Romance genre.

This week we have....




Beth stood, silent and still in the crowd as Alex crouched on the green, lining up his shot. He straightened up, towering over the ball. The putter swung a few inches and a muted clop sent the ball on a sweeping journey towards the hole. Four seconds of agony, Beth's fingernails piercing her palms..... it was in!

Alex was engulfed in an exuberant embrace from his partner, Bernie and accepted sporting handshakes from the losing duo. Beth lost sight of him momentarily as the crowd pressed closer to witness the presentation of the club cup. Then, there he was, running towards her, lifting her off her feet and burying kisses into her neck. She looked up at her husband, handsome and tanned in his scarlet golf shirt. He took her hand and lifted it to his lips.

Beth was delighted. For once she had remembered everything Alex needed for the match. The spare putter, the umbrella – both had been left behind on previous competition days. She had even forgotten to leave a casserole cooking once and, when Bernie and his wife arrived for a post match dinner, they had been served an impromptu take-away.

“My scrumptious scatterbrain.” Alex called her.

He kissed the top of her head. “Just have to do the indoor photos in front of the plaque, darling. If you get the car, I'll meet you round the front.”

Beth followed the line of cars leaving the club. She pressed the switch to open the window and pulled down the visor, blocking out the low evening sun. That morning she had prepared Shepherd's Pie with the leek and cheddar topping Alex loved so it only had to heat in the oven. She had trimmed fresh runner beans, ready to steam. She smiled as she drove under the canopy of trees in Summer leaf.

Her neighbour waved as she turned into the driveway. He wore baggy shorts and a bright red shirt, similar to her husband's. Beth gasped! Alex! She crunched the gears into reverse almost ramming a silver car pulling in behind. Alex climbed out and waved off a laughing Bernie. Beth sat in shock, her hands clasped to her mouth. Alex opened the door and drew her to him. He shook his head. “As long as you never forget how much I love you!” He laughed.

(393 words)

Have a fabulous Friday x

21 comments:

  1. It's a good job he loves her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! Awwww Beth just had her priorities right - dinner always comes first! LOL! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROFL! Now there's a woman with much on her mind! Fabulous piece, love the little details as always :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very cheerful ending. At least Alex accepts her mistake with a laugh not anger and resentment. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like some of that Shepard's pie, it sounded yummy. I like how he called her his scrumptious scatterbrain. I did get confused at the end since prior to that you said she was picking him up at the front and then it seemed she was in her driveway and he was in the neighbors car. Did she forget him?
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Sounds like something I'd do.

    Great piece, Margo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys - a little froth this week! MrB and I are both hopeless without lists so something like this isn't beyond the realms of possibilty, especially with Shepherd's Pie in the offing!

    @Nancy - yes, she's so scatty, she forgot him and he got a lift back with his golfing buddy!

    Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, I did not see that coming. Great Forgotten entry. :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Margo. This was such a lovely piece. I too was a bit confused at the ending...but I see now she had forgotten him. Good thing he has a sense of humor!
    My fav "My scrumptious scatterbrain"...that has a nice, loving tone to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,

    Hilarious piece! So loved the intimacy of it all.

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth is so absent minded. How could she forget her gorgeous hubby? You guys are getting me addicted to the Romantic friday posts.

    Love the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. *Laughing* I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused at the ending - I had to read it twice. The first time, I thought maybe the guy at the golf course was a lookalike stranger or something, I didn't figure he had beat her home. I like the gentle humour though, and the fresh take on the idea of "forgotten". :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Margo, ha ha ha ha. I hope this isn't autobiographical with you and Mr B!! Loved it. Love the food refs (hmmm, Shepherd's Pie, nice winter food now that we're in the grips of our two-weeks of winter in Oz with the temps dropping to 10degrees in Queensland, (((shiver))).

    Yeah, you had to read it through twice to get all the nuances, a bit like a film that doesn't make sense until you've seen it twice, but you've cleverly weaved it together. (And I'm sure MrB doesn't call you his 'scrumptious scatterbrain!)

    Denise<3 (((laughing)))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks again everyone! I think my efforts to keep the tale from looking too slapstick ended up a little far the other way.

    The challenge prompt mentioned a flasback - I used the neighbour's red shirt to jolt Beth out of her reverie and realise that she had left Alex behind. He then turned up, having bagged a lift from his friend.

    Glad it raised some laughs, though....and no, it isn't quite biographical of MrB and I! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't get that she'd left him behind. I thought she almost hit him or something! And I did think the presentation of her character was pretty humorous. And your food selection kinda made me hungry *stomach growls* I've always wanted to try shepherd's pie. Aw... ~MsQ

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooo...that was fabulous, witty, and perfectly written. Congratulations on being a featured writer!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi MArgo,

    A great piece and very enjoyable as well! She forgot her husband???!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this piece - still smiling here... unfortunately she's very like me! Beautifully written and perfectly detailed
    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job! I love the details - Shepherd's Pie with leek and cheddar topping sounds fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am clueless as to how I missed this. Sorry, Margo! I loved the wit, the references to food, the scatterbrained image - you wove it all together beautifully!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hee hee! Sounds like something I'd do. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments x