Friday, 20 May 2011

Romantic Friday Writers - Lost


Greetings Everyone!

Welcome to our 2nd Romantic Friday Writers, a new meme devised by L'Aussie and Francine Howarth. Each week we submit some work (excerpt, flash fiction, poetry etc) around a chosen theme, coming in under 400 words.

This week's theme is Lost and I have to say the Muse stayed resolutely silent until the 11th hour. I struggled with this one but eventually this flash piece materialised.....at 376 words.

Lost

A sigh rippled through Alan's body as the ventilator was switched off, releasing him from his broken physical self. He watched as the tubing and machinery were disconnected and wheeled away. He looked at his partly shaved head, his swollen face, bruised hands and thought he looked quite the rugged hero, actually. A doctor was talking to Tash.

“ He's in no pain, Mrs Marshall. His body will shut down over the next few hours and...”

“I'll lose him.” She finished.

And when did I lose you, Tash?

Alan looked at his pretty wife. Waves of love flowed from him and settled around her heart. He wondered if she could feel him there. She was holding one of his hands, stroking it with her thumb.

Under the thumb, eh?
Alan laughed and felt himself expand to the edges the room. His senses filled with glorious sensations. His whole being smelled grass and beer, every pore heard classic rock music, every hair squealing devotion from his boyhood puppies. He was standing on a road. Still.

No tunnel?
He had no need to turn to be able to see all around. Tall trees, their tops lost in mist, led away like an avenue of sentinels. Had it rained? Water dripped from leaf to leaf, slow tears. The mist engulfed him.

When did dissatifaction set in, Tash? Was it after meeting skinny, rich Jayne in Pilates?

Alan couldn't pin a time to the changes. Tash ate less, exercised more, lost her soft curves. Her strawberry waves became a shimmering sheet of pale honey. The tapestry bag he had bought her in Thailand was replaced by something called Prada. Then she started on him. His hair wasn't right, she bought him gel. She moaned about his jeans, his motorbike.

Doctors had cut away his jeans and his bike was crushed.

I was selling it, Tash. There's a holiday in St Barts bookmarked on my computer. Wasn't that where you wanted to go? To be seen?

I wanted a baby, you wanted botox.

He imagined the conversation with her brittle friend. “How awful for you, a widow at twenty-nine but look how thin you are!”

Let go love.

The mist lifted. Alan absorbed divine warmth and walked home.


Do click on the piccie to read everyone else's inspiring romantic work.

Have a great Friday x

21 comments:

  1. That was excellent. Very affecting! I feel bad for Alan - I hope he meets a nice woman in the afterlife who likes classic rock and motorbikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-(

    This is so sad! It's beautiful and so sad!! Thanks for sharing! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent writing and so sad. A final note to a life gone sideways.
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to let you know that I tried to tweet this and it isn't set up correctly. Also your link on the Romantic Friday Writer's blog took me to blogger nowhere.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, touching and an original take on the theme. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much. It's unusual for me to write sad things, I often see humour first. This just came out of nowhere!

    @Nancy - I'll have MrB look at the tweet thing (I have NO idea on the gadgets!) I've clicked on my pic on RFW and it's working for me - good to keep checking though, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Margo,

    OMG, such touching pieces this week, and this is wonderful. It reveals so much about the characters within a fleeting cameo. ;)

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful writing! This felt so real.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not expect this at all. Such a great surprise! Sad and so much there. Great post!
    Edge of Your Seat Romance

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe the journey is just beginning for Alan, while Tash will continue to wander lost, ever searching for the self-approval she will always withhold from herself. Great job, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful, sad yet hopeful story. New follower and (possibly - in future weeks- upcoming RFW)here. Looking forward to more of your work.

    Writing in Flow

    ReplyDelete
  12. Margo, this is brilliant! I was right there, a fly on the wall, hearing and seeing all - oh, how you described the parallel worlds of Tish and Alan - just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous. And heart-stopping.
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Margot, you wicked woman. Now I'm a blubbering mess and won't be good for anything today! You whisked me away to the metaphysical realm, in the best possible way. She's the one that's lost, not him. He's whizzing off to something beautiful while she's yet to find herself.

    Your writing was wonderfully evocative Margot. Thank you for writing for us!

    Denise<3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sad, touching, and also a little sinister. Stunning. I think this deserves to be extended into a longer piece.

    Ellie Garratt

    ReplyDelete
  16. You definitely tugged at my heartstrings with this one Margot.

    I feel sorry for Tash. Self-centered and obsessed with material things. Alan seemed like a good man.

    One thing struck me when Tash said "I'll lose him". It sounded cold & heartless...like this is what she wanted. Gave me shivers.

    I'm amazed you could get this down to 376 words and still make it intriguing.

    Excellent story! Hope there's more to come.

    My entry is here:

    http://mypoetcharm.blogspot.com/2011/01/incomplete-without-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I liked that parting line from her brittle friend. Poor Alan!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi,

    Just a little add-on: you've been tagged! See my blog. ;)

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful yet so sad, I want to read more!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments x